Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bad Idea

As most of you know, Katie + Kids = temper tantrums. And sometimes the kids get upset too. But somehow I have been convinced to be an Awana Leader at Church. Our Sunday School teacher asked us on Sunday if we would be interested in helping and gave us a brief rundown of what would be expected and we went to an informational meeting last night. Chad is all about this, he commited to it before we even discussed it, so naturally, I said I would do it too. I'm very scared of several things. Like losing control of the kids, telling them something about God/Faith/the Bible etc. that doesn't exactly match what the Church teaches, but I'm mostly scared the kids will hate me. I'm not sure what Andy was thinking when he asked us, it sounded like he was desperate for anyone to help, but wouldn't it be better to be short on leaders than to have one that doesn't like children? The first night is 8/20, so I have a couple of weeks to mentally prepare/freak myself out. Oh, and the worst thing? All the kids wear matching shirts - they are all going to look the same!

For those of you who don't know, "Awana" stands for: Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed. It is a program that a lot of Churchs have for kids from age 3 and up, our church does it up to the 6th grade. Chad and I will be working with the 3rd-6th graders. There is game time, lesson time, and book time, which is when they have time to work through their lesson books and memorize verses, etc. There will be skits and music and theme nights and awards - it sounds like lots of fun, I just hope I can handle it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I worked with the kids on Wednesday nights I used to do this "Corner Race" game with them where kids would start in two corners and race to the opposite corners. Chaos would naturally ensue in the middle of the room and it was great fun... until one night when two kids collided hard and this girl started bleeding from a head wound. If you end up doing something worse than that, let me know.
Personally I think you'll do great.

Anonymous said...

I could do TREATS!!!!! Let me know if/when you want something!

MUM