Sunday, June 27, 2010

How do you feel about the name given to you at birth?

I love my name.

I love that it is a family name - I am at least the 3rd to have it, maybe 4th or 5th?  Mom, can you clarify?

I love that I get two names - Kathryn and Katie.  I know that some people don't get nicknames and they probably don't care, but I love having two names.  As hard as it would be to choose a child's name, I can guarantee it will have two - full and nick.

However, I don't feel much connection to my middle name.  I don't have anything against it, but I honestly have to think about it when someone asks what it is.  I think that might be because I consider Kathryn and Katie my names, so while Jennifer is technically my middle name, it is number three on the list, so I just don't think about it much.

The name Katie lends itself to many nicknames, songs, etc.  KT.  Katie-bug.  Katie-did-it.  K, K, K, Katie.

So, to sum up:  I love my name.  It is the best name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are generation #1, I (Kathryn Kay) am #2, my mother (Katerine Janice) was #3, her grandmother (Katie Boyd Jenkins)would be #4 and there are also some Katherines on my fathers side, I think one of his grandmothers was a Katherine and there might have been others. Let's ask Aunt Mary Lou what she knows.
MUM