Thursday, March 6, 2008

I need a career counselor.

Things I would miss about my job:

  1. kittens

  2. filling prescriptions

  3. how close it is to home

  4. being able to wear jeans/scrubs

  5. Emma (the office cat)

  6. being the person who knows everything (it's nice to be needed!)

  7. the lack of drama (I had no idea a work environment could be this drama free!)

  8. having a day off during the week

  9. discounts

Things I would not miss about my job:

  1. having to get the mail

  2. dog slobber, pee and poo

  3. all the sex jokes from a certain doctor (We get it, you think about sex a lot! I can't believe you haven't been sued for sexual harassment yet.)

  4. getting yelled at by clients (I don't set the prices people!)

  5. euthanasias

  6. dealing with money, taking payments

  7. lack of enforced policies

  8. emergencies (nail trims are not emergencies people!)

  9. telemarketers

  10. fecal samples

  11. constantly being told to do something I'm already doing

  12. lack of advancement opportunities

  13. feeling like the world would end if I had to call in sick

  14. quoting prices over the phone

How many times can you change jobs before becoming "that girl who switches jobs all the time?" But I can't stay in one job forever just to avoid becoming "that" girl, right? Suggestions and opinions on this matter are appreciated.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

You have kittens at home. Drama is everywhere - it's like your headache :-). haha. just kidding. I think you're on your own w/ this one.

Anonymous said...

Ok, my thoughts are that you have to make the ultimate decision. Are you willing to give up the short commute, jeans/scrubs, being "top dog" so to speak, and having a day off in the middle of the week in order to get rid of the euthanasias, sex jokes, lame emergencies and dealing with various animal discharges. I have changed jobs several times (unless going back and forth doesn't count). You just have to find a job that you enjoy on most days. I think it is impossible to find a job that you will love EVERY day, afterall it is work. As far as being "that girl" I don't think you would be considered as "that girl" unless you were silly about how and why you changed jobs. If you are trying for advancement especially then most people wouldn't consider that as a frivilous job change. Good luck with your decision and I am sure you will make the correct choice. :-) Brenda